Books purchased outside the Apple Store can be loaded and read across all your Apple devices provided you have the correct file format: Epub or PDF. Make sure the settings are the same on each device you own: iPhone, iPad, MAC, etc.
On Your Apple Device:
Go to “Settings”
Click on your account (Top left, where your name shows)
Scroll down to “iCloud”
Turn On “iCloud Drive”
Turn On “Books”
Now, Slide back to “Settings”
Scroll Down to “Books”
Turn On “Purchases from Other Devices”
Turn On “Automatic Downloads”
Turn On “Reading Now”
Turn On “iCloud Drive”
Note: The above changes allow any book you buy or download from an outside site to be shared because they will synced over the iCloud.
Now, You are ready to load an eBook or PDF bought from an outside source.
- Buy the book in Epub format and download the file to your device: it can be your iPhone or iPad or Mac.
- On the device you used, go to “Files” (blue file folder) and click on “Downloads”
Your book file will be there.
- Press on the book file. A menu will pop up. Select “Share.”
- Click on “Books.” Your purchased book will now show up in your book library and be available on all your devices.
Note: If you can’t find the “Files” icon, then select “iCloud.” Share the file to “Books” the same way as shown above.
To Download Kindle books:
Books purchased from Amazon may be read easily with the Kindle App available from the Apple App store. Any book bought at Amazon will show on your Kindle App and be available immediately. In addition, any Kindle book bought from any other source (such as this store) can be sent to your Kindle App on your iPad or iPhone using email!
- Download the Kindle App from the Apple App store to your device.
- Register the Kindle App with Amazon. Then, go to your Amazon page. The following steps will allow you to send any document, including books, to your Apple Kindle App.
- Log into your Amazon Account. Go to “Content & Devices.
- Click on “Preferences”
- Click on “Personal Document Settings.”
- Scroll to “Approved Personal Documents.”
- Add your own personal email address. You may add more than one. Only from these addresses will you be allowed to send files.
Next: Check the section above, the Send-to-Kindle email settings. You will see the email addresses of all your Kindle devices, including your Apple Kindle Apps. This is where you can make any changes to the addresses to suit your taste. However, no book will be delivered if you use an address that is erroneous or not on record.
Now, let’s send a book! Remember that Kindle no longer supports new Mobi or AZW. However, you can send PDF, Epub, etc.
- Open your email. On the “To” tab, write the Kindle Address of your Kindle App for the Apple device.
- Attach your book File.
- Make sure you are sending from your approved email address. Click “Send.”
- Amazon will email you immediately asking you to approve the file. Approve it. Your book will appear on your Kindle app in a few moments. If you don’t see it, Sync your Kindle App to bring it up to the minute. The book will be there. Open the Kindle App and read!